Monday 7 March 2011

Back to Basics-Books

For The Diaconate Formation Training and also ongoing, I was thinking about a basic book list ones that I should have on my book shelf.
The criteria being those that I would be constantly using .
My Initial list is as follows:-

Divine Office
Bible My version is The CTS new catholic Bible.
Bible Commentary The New Jerome Biblical Commentary
Catechism of the Catholic Church
Documents of Vatican II

Christian Theology An Introduction Alister E McGrath

If anyone can advise of what others should be on the list can you let me know

2 comments:

  1. Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church

    The Essential Moral Handbook - A Guide to Catholic Living O'Neill and Black C.SS.R

    Sporting Life - Guide to the Flat.......!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bogdan, I am now sat at home looking at my bookshelves and I think you might want consider some of these. You have the essentials covered. These are some I use often.

    The Penny Catechism - It's been useful to me who didn't grow up with it to see what the cradle catholics learnt by heart.
    Catholicism for Dummies - A remarkably easy read and good simple teaching aid, you can move then into the Catechism.
    A hymnal from your parish
    William Barclay's study guides - Available for all of the new testament and a wonderful resource for preparing homilies.
    Become one body one spirit in Christ - The DVD resource to introduce the new translation of the missal.
    eSword or pocketSword not a book but fantastic computer bible study resources.
    The New Dictionary of Sacramental Worship, Peter E Fink - Great source of matterial for any liturgical based essay.
    Repitching the Tent, Richard Giles - Wonderful book on CHurch architechture and it's use in worship.
    Anything by CS Lewis

    ReplyDelete