Tuesday 2 November 2010

Silence

Here's a thought that probably doesn't work well when you read it to yourself. Try reading it aloud in a quiet space. Read it slowly. When you see dots just count a second in your head for each dot.
Is this thought to complicated to put into a book? or does it capture some of the moments between verses when we say the office together. Have a read, have a ponder, then click on the comments button at the bottom of the post and tell me what you think.

Silence

Last week I was sitting in the barbers waiting my turn and enjoying a few minutes of quite time. As I sat there I realised that my quiet time was anything but quiet. I could hear,

the click of the scissors,
the buzz of a razor,
a conversation that I couldn't quite overhear,
the rustle of newspaper pages,
the scraping of a leather soled shoe on the lino floor
and a high pitched voice was singing on the radio.

My quiet time was missing something…. it was missing SILENCE.

Real silence… like that found at the top of a mountain… or in mum and dads back bedroom deep in the Irish countryside, that’s something really special… I don’t find it often, but when I do my heart lifts and I can’t help but smile….. Silence is where love creeps into a conversation….. It was silent when I first kissed my wife….. and silent again, when I realised I loved her….. I adore the silence in an empty church….. and the silence between lines of a prayer…..

A famous Frenchman once said, "A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." So when you can, find yourself a moment of silence, and experience the perfection of a moment shared with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment