Wednesday 17 November 2010

Blessing and Loss

Another Though by Brendan, I remember this one very clearly. It was very moving listening and watching Brendan deliver this thought. His love, pride and loss were laid before us, a very personal and brave thought. What do you think?

Blessing & Loss by Rev Brendan Vaughan-Spruce

Not long ago I was in Galway in Ireland, where my eldest daughter entered the Poor Clare monastery to begin life as a contemplative nun. A family of six went over and five returned.

She had felt a call to the contemplative life for three or four years, throughout her time at university, and having stayed with a number of religious communities she finally found the Poor Clares in Galway to be the community that seemed right for her. They are a strictly enclosed community, and she will leave only once, at the end of her postulancy which lasts for ten months. Then, after two weeks at home, she will return to be clothed as a novice and to receive a new name. We will be allowed to visit her only four times a year, but at least we can send letters as often as we like.

I have mixed feelings about my daughter’s strictly enclosed life. On the one hand I feel that I have lost someone very precious - our first child who I love dearly. In the past few weeks especially I have reflected on her life, from her first cries, her first faltering steps, her growing up, her sense of humour, her intelligence, her achievements and her strong faith. I remember my great joy at seeing her being presented with her first class degree from Cambridge University. But after all that, she had decided to leave us for a new life in another country, where we would be able to see her only very rarely and only through the bars of the grille.

On further reflection, however, I feel that our family has been greatly blessed by her life with us and blessed further by her decision to devote her whole life to prayer and worship in a particularly powerful witness to Jesus Christ. Her courage and trust in following her call from the Lord, is a great inspiration for me and hopefully for others.

Of course, I have not lost her because she will always be a part of the life of our family, in our thoughts and prayers, through letters and visits. I entrust my daughter to the care of God as she seeks to live His plan for her and I know that we are united in His love, and that He is with us always wherever we may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment