Thursday 18 November 2010

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Heres my first and probably last thought that included singing. It's this result of combining The wizard of Oz and Thomas Merton, a strange combination but somehow I linked them together. The Thomas Merton element is taken from his book "He is Risen" and if you get the chance you should read this. It very short and very beautiful.
Reading this though now it seems a little disjointed, one of the disadvantages of only having 2 minutes. I would be very interested in knowing your thoughts on this though, please feel to a comment.

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes... And leap... It's time to try defying gravity.

Were these the thoughts of Peter before he stepped out onto the water towards Jesus.

Maybe, but in fact they are taken from a song in the musical Wicked, a kind of squeal to the Wizard of Oz. Instead of focusing on Dorothy's walk down the yellow brick road it tells the story of the good and wicked witches. But it is Dorothy I want to talk a little about. If I remember the film correctly her journey starts off in a bit of a spin, then landing in a colourful world, and after a bit of a song and dance, she sets off down a long yellow brick road.

Dorothy's destination was the Emerald City, her instruction for getting there were easy, just follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road, follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the yellow brick road. I am sure you have all seen the film as often as I have so I don't need to mention Scarecrows, tin men, lions, little dogs, flying monkeys or buckets of water.
But I do want to mention red shoes, Dorothy's journey started when she was given the red shoes, it finished with them as well, just click your heals three times, there's no place like home.

Our journey may well start with a leap of faith, a big song and dance, but like Dorothy's it soon gets a little scary. Our road isn't painted yellow and is not always easy to follow, so we have to remember Christ is risen, as the angel in the tomb said “he's gone ahead to Galilee”, and where He goes we have to follow. So if we are looking to encounter The Risen Christ in our lives, maybe we should like the disciples and Dorothy, return to the place we first meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment