Tuesday 25 January 2011

The Pope's comments on Blogging and Social Networks

I read on the train this morning that the Pope has been speaking about Catholics blogging, Tweating and Facebooking. Right here on this web site I do two out of those three so I feel I need to go and findout for myself what he has infact said. According to the paper the paper this morning two things were mentioned. First that people using community areas of the internet should not be afraid to represent there Christian and Catholic viewpoint. I think this is very valid not just on-line but in any form of communication. The second point was very interesting for me personally, and it was that, Catholics blogging or tweating should be concerned not with the number of followers or hits they get but in what they choose to say. It's very easy when using the internet to get distracted, to keep score, of how many freinds or followers you have. I have 9 followers on twitter. One person I know at work, two deacons in formation who write blogs like this that interested me, so I started following them and I guess I interested them and they started following me. The others that follow me I dont know at all. They range from a man that likes to say thank you, to a computer games company and there is even a national newspaper report. Should I be proud of my 9 followers? should I be pleased this website has been read be people from 11 different countries? No, I think the Popes right, I think the only thing I should worry about is what I say here and what others care to add here as well.

When I get back home I think I'll take a look at what the Pope has really said, and see how much more wisdom I can find there.

2 comments:

  1. Hello John

    Great post! The use of such media also affords the opportunity to evangelise. My 'secular friends' often ask me about the Church because of something I might have posted about my whereabouts e.g Wonersh for a Formation Day or church on Sunday etc. It's all another way to sow the seed of the Word...........

    Blessings to you and your brothers on the journey!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian, Your absolutly right. Sowing the seed on-line is a fabulous way to tell people about the wonders of our faith and the love of Christ.

    ReplyDelete