Sunday 17 October 2010

Daily Prayer

Today's readings at Mass were all about prayer, and so was Fr. Jim's Homily. It got me to thinking about my prayer life and how hard I have found getting to grips with morning and evening prayer. I found it easy to take my prayer book with me when I went away and it was always beside the bed when I was at home and yet it was seldom opened. Not because I didn't want to pray but because I could always find something else to do. Part of the problem for me was making sure I got it right, find the right day, the right saint, marking all the pages. I managed to add 20mins of preparation to 10-15mins of prayer and this meant I normally didn't even start.

To force myself to I invited some friends at work from the Christian Union to join me for prayer before work on a Friday. Because they didn't have prayer books I printed a version from the Internet and week all prayed together. I lead the sessions and always talked through the reading just to make sure we all had all the pages. This really helped me, a bit like Moses today having his arms held up by those next to him when he lacked the strength himself.

Now with the increased use of gadgets I have found at least one knew way to organise myself. I have started using a iPhone app by Universalis. The app automatically constructs the readings into a single page based on today's date. So all I have to do is open the app. It made all the difference to me and I now find it easy to complete the office in the car park before going into work each morning and again in the evening before I plug my phone in to charge overnight.

So after 4+ years of working on the office it now something that builds me up to do the work of the Lord and not a duty I was struggling to complete. Find your own way with the office, for me it's developed into a wonderful gift, if it's not already I am sure it will be for you as well.

Some links to the sites I have mentioned above:
http://www.universalis.com/
Great online resource, and they have 2 iPhone apps one free if you have a network connection, and 1 for about £20 that gives you access to the entire breviary and also the grail translation we are used to in the black books.

http://www.ebreviary.com/
This is the site I used to share the office with people at work. For Friday morning you can download a nicely formatted PDF booklet, free of charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment