Monday 7 March 2011

Ash & Ash Wednesday

The start of Lent is almost upon us and I am looking forward now to Ash Wednesday. With fasting Ash Wednesday is always a long and difficult day but it is also the day when I can talk about my faith at work more than any other day. The reason for this is that most of my conversation on Ash Wednesday start like this. “You have a black smudge on your forehead.” Then I reply, “Yes I know it’s Ash Wednesday.” Then they either look confused or ask why, either way I get to talk to them about my faith, lent, giving things up, starting things, fasting, repentance, charity, palm leaves, oils, etc…  Most people are really interested, and the questions keep coming.

I normally hate getting out of bed, but on Ash Wednesday I am a little excited. I head off to an early Mass and hope that I’ll get a good clear thumb full of ash. This year however I have been a little frustrated, my church isn’t having an early Mass. The other churches in the parish are but it’s at 9:30 way to late as I have to be at work by 9am. The Church close to work has a lunchtime Mass, but I have a meeting from 10-2 at work so that doesn’t work well either. Luckily Clifton Cathedral has a 7:30 Mass so that’s where I’ll be.

In previous years I have been working in different towns and have always managed to find an early Mass. When I was working a tradeshow in London I got up particularly early to get to a 6am Mass at Westminster Cathedral. That was a long day, 10 hours on my feet with no food but about a 500 people went away knowing both about my software and about my faith. In fact most were more interested in the ash than the software.

Lent is a great time for us Christians to witness to our faith. To make that extra effort to give up sin, to do some good for the people around us. To show Gods love and work in our actions. What will you be doing this Lent? Will you be wearing your ashes all day? What conversation will they start?

No comments:

Post a Comment